- User-specified attachment filing and refiling. You can now decide how your attachments should be filed and named, even when placed in the library bundle. Further, it is easy to change your mind on the details (at least until synchronization is turned on).
- Synchronization of attachments filed outside the bundle. It is now possible for Sente to automatically synchronize attachments files outside the library bundle. We still strongly encourage people to store their attachments within the bundle for many reasons (like how easy it is to move a complete library from one place/computer to another).
- Ability to delete PDF annotations. You can now remove annotations (e.g., highlighting) in a PDF within Sente.
Sente 6.1 Beta Instructions -- PLEASE READ BEFORE RUNNING THE SOFTWARE
The current beta can be downloaded here:
PLEASE NOTE: launching this version of Sente, and doing a Library Update (which you must do to run the beta) may result in all of your attachments being moved! Do NOT proceed with the beta if you are not prepared to first make a complete backup of your library and attachments!
We have done a lot of testing on this beta, but your library may be set up in a way that we have not been able to test and so you may encounter problems that we are not aware of (that is why this is BETA software!). We appreciate your help in testing the new release, but please be aware that it could cause problems for you that would not be easy to recover from if you do not have good backups.
Sente 6.1 is not entirely backwards compatible with Sente 6.0, so it is important to proceed carefully during the beta test period. To use this beta version:
0) Review the release notes for Sente 6.1 below
1) exit Sente
2) make a copy of the library you are going to open in Sente 6.1 -- you will be using the copy for testing
3) make a backup of all of your data, including PDFs, because Sente 6.1 may move your attachments and if something goes wrong, you will need to restore from backup
4) select the copy of your library in Finder and control-click (or right-click) on this file, and select Open With > Other...
5) select the beta copy of Sente 6.1 as the application to open this copy of your library
6) answer the questions on the Library Update window that appears and click on Apply
Please send us feedback on the beta to our support address using the form on our web site.
Thank you for your help testing Sente 6.1.
New in Sente 6.1.1
Attachment Filing and Refiling
Attachments can now be organized using a user-specified filing and naming strategy, either inside or outside the library bundle. Further, it is now possible to synchronize attachments that are filed either inside or outside the library bundle. (We still encourage filing attachments within the library bundle because it makes moving the library from one location or machine to another much easier.) Starting with 6.1, all attachments in a library must be handled in exactly the same way -- that is, you cannot have some attachments filed by Sente and others not.
With a synchronized library, each copy of the library can place the attachments either inside or outside the library bundle, but the filing and naming must be the same on all copies.
It is now possible to change the filing strategy on a library and Sente will automatically refile all attachments automatically. Once synchronization is turned on, the location, but neither the filing strategy nor the naming strategy can be changed.
The interface for configuring attachment handling is under the Setup category in the source list.
- Updated support for AppleScript. Please check the AppleScript dictionary for details
- Reorganized portions of the main menu
- Added ability to turn sync off permanently for a copy of a library
- Added commands that used to exist only in the top bar of the attachment view to the main menu
- Added ability to select and delete highlighting in PDFs
- Added ability to click on links in PDFs when in region select mode
- Added ability to increase or decrease the text size in the embedded web browser
- Updated targeted browsing support for ACS, Web of Knowledge, ACM beta site, EBSCOhost, InterScience, Science Direct, JSTOR, National Library of Portugal and Springer.
- Fixed several bugs with scanning of Pages documents: citations were sometimes incorrectly combined into a group; text attributes (like italics) were not being correctly applied when generating rescannable files
- Fixed a problem in handling clicks on the red button on a Sente window
- The attachment view in the main window now correctly remembers its height
- Corrected a problem that sometimes resulted in the reference editor being stuck in a closed state
- Corrected a problem that resulted in the footer saying Synchronizing even after sync was complete in some cases
- The date added is now updated correctly when a reference is copied into a new library
- Corrected a problem that caused tag values to be ignored when searching or filtering on "all fields" (for this to work on existing references, you will need to do something like add and then remove a bogus tag to all references -- this will update the cache of searchable text for each reference)