We are pleased to announce that the public beta of Sente 6.0 is now available for download.
Here are some of the highlights of Sente 6.0:
- Sente 6 is "document-based" meaning that there is one main window per library. We think this makes for a cleaner interface and it supports coming enhancements better than our old approach.
- Libraries in Sente 6 are now single files (bundles, actually) that can be placed anywhere on your computer, like in your Documents folder. Double-click the library in Finder and Sente will pop it open.
- Attachments (PDFs and other files) can now be stored right in the library. This eliminates the problems with links breaking when you, for example, move a library from one machine to another. Copy a library to a thumb drive and you have all your references and PDFs.
- Libraries can now be automatically synchronized across any number of computers, and this includes all attachments stored in the library. And different copies of a library can have different permissions, so you can share a library with colleagues without giving them the ability to make changes.
- Sente 6 supports reference tagging. And tags are fully supported by Find, Browse and Smart Collection definition.
- There is a new QuickTag palette that lets you quickly see which tags have been applied to one or more references, and assign and remove tags from any number of references with a single click.
- Tags can be organized hierarchically. References with more specific tags (i.e., more deeply nested tags) will be returned when searching for less specific (i.e., less deeply nested) tags.
- Sente 6 automatically provides a number of built-in smart collections to support many common needs. For example, there are folders for all recently added references, and all references with specific QuickTags, and all references with particular statuses.
- There are hundreds of new bibliography styles based on CSL format definitions. And more will be added prior to the official release of 6.0.
- There is a new, on-line user manual. This is still being completed, but because it is on-line, you will always see the most up-to-date version when you click on Help > User's Guide.
We still have one or two important features that will be added prior to the official release of Sente 6.0, but we wanted to get this release out to everyone who has been wanting to try out the new design.
If you download the public beta, you will automatically obtain a demonstration license when you first launch the software. We will be releasing the official version of Sente 6.0 prior to the expiration of these 30-day demos, and we will reset all demonstration licenses at that time.
NOTE: When running with a demonstration license, Sente limits the size of synchronized libraries to 50 references. You will be able to create libraries of any size, but you will not be able to turn synchronization on for any library with more than 50 references.
We will be releasing updates to the beta regularly and using Sparkle to automatically update copies in the wild, so if you download the beta now, you will receive the updates as they become available.
We look forward to hearing your thoughts on the new design.
P.S. There are few items on our list that are not included in the first public beta. These will be added in the coming days and made available through the automatic update mechanism. These include:
- Searches are not automatically updated.
- Spotlight support for attachments is not active.
- The manual is incomplete and the videos referenced within it are largely missing.