In case anyone did not heed the warnings to read, understand and save the automatic update message informing them about the preview release of Sente 6.6, here is that text.
THIS IS AN ANNOUNCEMENT OF A PREVIEW RELEASE OF SENTE 6.6. DO NOT INSTALL THIS UPDATE UNTIL YOU HAVE READ THIS ENTIRE ANNOUNCEMENT.
INSTALLING THIS PREVIEW RELEASE OF SENTE 6.6 WILL DISRUPT YOUR WORK, SO DO NOT UPDATE UNTIL YOU UNDERSTAND THE CONSEQUENCES AND ARE PREPARED FOR THE DISRUPTION.
PLEASE SAVE A COPY OF THIS MESSAGE BEFORE UPGRADING -- YOU WILL NEED THIS INFORMATION DURING THE UPGRADE PROCESS.
Sente 6.6 is a free upgrade for everyone with a Sente 6 license.
Sente 6.6 includes some very important changes, including a completely new version of sync.
DO NOT INSTALL THIS UPDATE IF YOU ARE WORKING ON A DEADLINE OR YOU DO NOT HAVE TIME TO LEARN ABOUT THE CHANGES IN THIS MAJOR UPDATE. AND DO NOT INSTALL THIS PREVIEW VERSION IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE RUNNING PRERELEASE SOFTWARE.
[If you are already running a preview of Sente 6.6, you can simply install this update -- the warnings are for people who are still running Sente 6.5.]
When you upgrade to Sente 6.6, you will upgrade your libraries to use the new version of sync. There are several things you should know about this:
0) You need to make a good backup copy of all of your Sente libraries before launching Sente 6.6. Once your libraries are converted to Sente 6.6, they will not work with Sente 6.5, so it is essential that you have backup copies in case you need to return to Sente 6.5 for any reason.
1) You will need to create an account on the new sync servers (this can be done in the login screen at launch). Even if you have an existing Sente 6 license, you do not have a sync2 account until you create it yourself. You do not need to use the same email address that you used when purchasing your existing Sente license, but you must use a valid email address.
2) You will need to convert your existing libraries to the new sync and this takes time, so do not update until you are prepared for an interruption in your use of Sente. Mostly, the time required is spent just letting Sente do the update, but you will not want to begin this process if you cannot let Sente run for an extended period of time.
3) Sente 6.6 libraries do not sync with Sente 6.5 for Mac, or the old versions of Sente for iPad. Sente 6.6 can only share libraries with a new version of Sente 6 for iPad. If you are currently using Sente for iPad, you will need to replace that app with the new app, available for free in the App Store (http://appstore.com/sente6). This new version of Sente for iPad is the only version of Sente for iPad in the app store now. Your libraries will need to be reinstalled on the iPad in the new app. This is not done through iTunes anymore.
4) If you have an existing Sente 6 license, you will need to enter that license into Sente 6.6 in order to upgrade the default, free account to a premium account with addition sync storage. This is done using the Sente 6 > Enter a Sente License command. You only need to do this one time, on one device. Once your account has been upgraded, it will be updated on all of your devices automatically.
There is much more information about Sente 6.6 on our web site. In particular, I would recommend that you take a look at <a href="http://www.thirdstreetsoftware.com/blog/">our blog posts</a> over the past few months and that you watch <a href="http://www.thirdstreetsoftware.com/site/Videos.html">the new videos on our site.</a>
Sente 6.6 is in daily use by many users, and it is close to the final release, but you may want to wait until the release is official before updating. And do not even think about updating if you cannot afford any downtime with Sente -- this is a major update and it will disrupt your work with Sente as you convert to the new system. We think you will like the update, but you should only update when it will not disrupt other work you are doing.